Through Alice Dalgliesh’s amusing account of a boy’s harrowing trip over Hemlock Mountain, students will learn:
Historical Background: Pennsylvania folktales.
Author Biography: Learn about Alice Dalgliesh, her background in the British West Indies, and her writing awards.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Phrases, repetition, foreshadowing, dictionary usage, imagery, similes, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Hospitality, sharing, observation, fear, God is with us, dependability, truth, the Lord is our shepherd, consequences, sin, forgiveness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mountains, animal tracks, birdsong, hospitality bulletin board, make cookies, Mystery Word activity, creative writing adventure, cookbook, bears, drama/theater.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5×11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!