EMC Number: 3236
Page Count: 208
The leveled reading selections on the same topic and the supporting activities help you accommodate students’ varied reading abilities within one class.
Every unit includes:
- 3 levels of nonfiction reading selections on the same topic
- Text-based comprehension questions (multiple choice and open-ended)
- Words to Know lists with vocabulary for each reading selection
- Visual literacy page to enrich learning and support focused discussions
- Text-based writing prompt and a writing form
- Graphic organizers
The 17 units of nonfiction reading selections cover these 6th grade topics:
- Social Studies: The Code of Hammurabi; The History of Silk; The Parthenon; Queen Hatshepsut
- Science: Alice Ball; Aristotle; Individual Sports; Rachel Carson
- Mathematics: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature; Balancing a Check Register
- Technology: Grace Murray Hopper; The Eiffel Tower; The Very Large Array Observatory; Steve Jobs, Computer Pioneer
- The Arts: A Closer Look at Advertising; Jazz; Frank Lloyd Wright
Nonfiction Reading Practice is a completely revised edition of a long-time favorite. It’s sure to be your favorite supplemental reading resource for facilitating reading groups and creating an inclusive reading environment!
Plus, with the help of the writing form, you’ll have writing samples for every student to display in your classroom.
This resource can be used to support English language learners, Tier 2, and Tier 3 (content vocabulary).