Language Lessons for a Living Education 4 is a Charlotte Mason–flavored approach to elementary language arts. Enjoy an engaging and effective language arts program for your elementary student. Students will move beyond pages of text and memorization to make real-world connections. This exciting new series will help guide your young learner toward mastery of reading, grammar, and vocabulary, as well as the mechanics of communication and writing. Utilizing observation and reading comprehension through poems, stories, and real books as the foundation, your student will continue to build paragraph writing skills.
The course is a story-based approach, using Charlotte Mason ideas for the modern homeschool student with character-building themes. Each quarter has five stories, two picture studies (one of which is biblically-based), and two poems (one of which is a psalm). Using the spelling words and the Dictionary Worksheets, the student will create their very own dictionary as they move week by week through the material. This course incorporates picture study, memorization, grammar and punctuation, spelling and vocabulary, observation, and application through creating their own stories through pictures, sentences, paragraphs, poems, psalms, and letters. This course also develops reading skills and gently develops narration skills.
Language Lessons for a Living Education 4:
Students will build on and reinforce essential communication skills as they achieve proficiency in grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and reading comprehension. Independent reading and mastery of effective sentences and paragraphs are at the heart of this course.
Colorful and endearing pictures enhance this fun and engaging story-based approach. Written with a Charlotte Mason influence but designed for modern homeschoolers, students will enjoy poem, hymn, and picture studies and faith-growing stories to inspire detailed and descriptive paragraphs. Activities include memorizing poems, Scripture, and the books of the Bible, creating a dictionary, gentle narration and copy work, and critical thinking games to hone and apply their writing and reading skills creatively.
Additional copy work, fun games, and activities are in the back for extra practice of key grammar concepts and spelling, making the course easily adaptable to meet the needs of each student.
Writing stamina is built up gradually. By the end of the course, students should be able to comfortably write a four to five sentence paragraph.
Table of Contents
- Using This Course
- Daily Schedule
- Lesson 1: Story, Analogy, Nouns, Sentences, Reading, “a” Words
- Lesson 2: Picture Study, Possessive Nouns, Sentences, Reading, “e” Words
- Lesson 3: Story, Plural Pronouns, Conjunctions, Interjections, Reading, “i” Words
- Lesson 4: Poem, Possessive Pronouns, Sentences, Reading, “o” Words
- Lesson 5: Story, Verbs, Sentences, Quotation Marks, Reading, “u” Words
- Lesson 6: Picture Study, State of Being Verbs, Helping Verbs, Commas, Reading, “ow” and “aw” Words
- Lesson 7: Story, State of Being Verbs, Helping Verbs, Titles, Reading, -aught, -ought, and -ound Words
- Lesson 8: Psalm, State of Being Verbs, Sentences, Writing a Paragraph, Reading, -ar, -or, -er, -ir, -ur Words
- Lesson 9: Story, 1st Quarter Review, Reading, 1st Quarter Spelling Review
- Lesson 10: Story, Verb Tense, Dictionary Guide Words, Pronunciation Key, Reading, Compound Words
- Lesson 11: Picture Study, Verb Phrase, Contractions, Reading, Contractions
- Lesson 12: Story, Verb Agreement, Abbreviations, Reading, Plural -s, -es; + y, vowel + o, consonant + o, exceptions Words
- Lesson 13: Poem, Word Usage, Abbreviations, Reading, Plural f to v, y to i Words
- Lesson 14: Story, Word Usage, Synonyms, Antonyms, Thesaurus, Reading, Irregular Plural Words
- Lesson 15: Picture Study, Word Usage, Comparison, Reading, Suffixes -er and -est Words
- Lesson 16: Story, Word Usage, Figures of Speech: Simile, Metaphor, Reading, -er, or, and -ar Words
- Lesson 17: Psalm, Word Usage, Sentences: Writing a Paragraph, Reading, -el, -al, and -le Words
- Lesson 18: Story, 2nd Quarter Review, Reading, 2nd Quarter Spelling Review
- Lesson 19: Story, Adjectives, Prefix, Reading, Prefix non-, over-, mis-, de-, under-, bi-, tri-, quad-, oct-
- Lesson 20: Picture, Adverbs, Suffix, Reading, Suffix -er, -or, -tion, -al, -ial, -ness, -ment, -en Words
- Lesson 21: Story, Prepositions, Root Words, Reading, Root Words rupt, terr, geo, photo, tract, meter, metr
- Lesson 22: Poem, Homonyms, Homophones, Sentences, Reading, Homophones
- Lesson 23: Story, Homophones, Sentences, Writing a Paragraph, Reading, Homonyms
- Lesson 24: Picture Study, Homographs, Parts of a Story: Setting, Character, Plot, Conclusion, Reading, Soft and Hard c and g Words
- Lesson 25: Story, Eight Parts of Speech, Book Report, Reading, -ie and -ei, -oy and -oi Words
- Lesson 26: Psalm, Eight Parts of Speech, Book Report, Reading, Three-syllable Words
- Lesson 27: Story, 3rd Quarter Review, Reading, 3rd Quarter Spelling Review
- Lesson 28: Story, Review: Nouns, Review: Sentences, Reading, ng, nk, nt, pt, sc, sk, st Words
- Lesson 29: Picture Study, Review: Nouns, Review Sentences, Reading, sh, th, ch, -tch Words
- Lesson 30: Story, Review: Prepositions, Sentences, Quotation Marks, Reading, spr, shr, str, squ, scr, spl, thr Words
- Lesson 31: Poem, Review: Prefix, Suffix, Root Words, Titles, Abbreviations, Reading, f, gh, ph Words
- Lesson 32: Story, Review: Verbs, Review: Similes, Metaphors, Reading, “k” (c, k, ck, qu) Words
- Lesson 33: Picture Study, Review: Verbs, Review: Titles, Dictionary Guide Words, Thesaurus, Synonyms, Antonyms, Reading, Silent Letter (kn, gn, wr, wh) Words
- Lesson 34: Story, Review: Adjectives, Adverbs, Review-Parts of a Story, Reading, Double Consonant Words
- Lesson 35: Psalm, Review: Homonyms, Homophones, Homographs, Friendly Letter, Envelope, Reading, Ordinal Number Words
- Lesson 36: Story, 4th Quarter Review, Reading, 4th Quarter Spelling Review
- Teacher Aids