Through Eleanor Coerr’s delightful tale of westward pioneers, students will learn:
The Author: Learn about Eleanor Coerr.
Background: Learn about the Westward Expansion.
Before-You-Read Activities: Maps, research oxen, music, quilts, packing wagons.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Action words, verbs, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Obey and honor parents, adversity, friendship, prayer, remembrances, hardship, do not be anxious, God is with us.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Crossword, bake bread, art, quilting.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Josefina Story Quilt
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5×11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!