Through Scott O’Dell’s gripping story, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Scott O’Dell.
Background Information: Island of San Nicolas.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Similes, metaphors, foreshadow, point of view, mood, characterization, story structure.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Trust, death, grief, compassion, mercy, our behavior, love one another, vengeance, grace, companionship, animals.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, sea animals, missions, math, science, timeline, creative writing, journal.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5×11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!