• Scripted lessons make it possible for any parent or teacher to use the program effectively.
• Step-by-step instruction takes students from the most basic concepts through advanced grammatical concepts such as modal and hortative verbs and multiple functions of noun clauses.
• Extensive diagramming exercises reinforce the rules and help technical and visual learners to understand and use the English language effectively. All diagrams are thoroughly explained to the instructor/parent.
• Text for examples and exercises are drawn from great works of literature, as well as from well-written nonfiction texts in science, mathematics, and the social sciences.
• Regular review built into each year of work.
• The program is easily customizable to each student’s strengths and weaknesses.
Each year, parents and teachers go through the scripted dialogue, rules, and examples in the Core Instructor Text. Instructor notes thoroughly explain any ambiguities and and how to handle concepts that the student may find difficult. This text will be used for all 4 years of instruction.
Students follow along in any color Workbook. There are four Workbooks, one for each year, but are not done in any particular order. Each Workbook contains the same rules and examples—but each has completely different sets of exercises and assignments, allowing students to develop a wide-ranging knowledge of how the rules and examples are put to use in writing. This repetition solidifies the concepts, definitions, and examples in the student’s mind.
A Workbook Key, of matching color, provides not only answers, but also explanations for the parent/instructor, and guidance as to when the answers might be ambiguous (as, in English, they often are).
All of the rules covered, along with the repeated examples for each, are assembled for ongoing reference in The Grammar Guidebook. This will become the student’s indispensable guide to writing through high school, into college and beyond. This book is not required for the program but is highly recommended!
The Diagramming Dictionary assembles into one handy manual all of the principles that govern diagramming the English language—from basic subject/predicate layout through advanced sentence structure and analysis. In every example, the simple subject is underlined once, the simple predicate is underlined twice, and the element being described is in green. Beautifully designed diagrams walk the reader through how to illustrate each and every part of the English sentence. This book is not required for the program but is highly recommended regardless of the grammar program you are using!
Browse the following articles for videos and in-depth instructions:
NAME CHANGE: You may have noticed that the Workbooks and Keys for this curriculum are now named by color (“Purple Workbook”) rather than by year (“Year 1”). That’s to help you understand that you can use these workbooks in any order. It’s a four-year cycle but the books can be done in any order. The Core Instructor Text still provides the instructions for all four years. If you have one of the older copies that says “Workbook 1” instead of “Purple Workbook,” don’t worry; the content is still the same.