Through F.N. Monjo’s exciting story of the Underground Railroad, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about F.N. Monjo, and his historical fiction for children.
Historical Background: Slavery and the Underground Railroad.
Before-You-Read Activities: read-a-loud, folk songs, astronomy, maps, fugitives.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, dictionary usage, illustration analysis.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Leadership and character, behavior, consequences, truth, justice, Golden Rule, do good to others.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Hidden Message activity, creative writing, star gazing, crafts.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Drinking Gourd by F.N. Monjo.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5×11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!