Products Needed to Teach Level 5
In order to teach Level 5 to a single student, you will need these items:
All About Spelling Level 5 Materials
All About Spelling Level 5 Materials includes the Teacher’s Manual and one Student Packet (which contains the flashcards, charts, and other necessary components).
Spelling Interactive Kit
The Spelling Interactive Kit provides the multisensory components for the All About Spelling program. This is a one-time purchase, and you will use the same kit for all seven levels of All About Spelling. It comes in two versions: Basic and Deluxe. Visit Spelling Interactive Kits for complete information.
Physical Letter Tiles or Letter Tiles App
The Spelling Interactive Kit contains everything you need, including the physical letter tiles, but there are two additional items to consider. If you plan to teach mainly with the physical letter tiles, you’ll need to purchase a 2′ x 3′ magnetic white board from a store such as Walmart or Staples. For an easy-to-use, portable alternative, our Letter Tiles App is available as a separate purchase.
Please note: All About Spelling is a cumulative program that builds on concepts learned in previous levels. If you have not used the program before, please use our Spelling Placement Test to determine the best level for your child. If you decide to start in a higher level, you will need to purchase the Student Packets from all previous levels so that you have the necessary flashcards for review purposes.
Teaching Multiple Students?
All About Spelling makes it easy to teach multiple students! If you’re teaching more than one child, you’ll need to purchase a few individual products for each child.
Each additional student will need:
- All About Spelling Level 5 Student Packet
- Spelling Divider Cards
- Spelling Review Box
Questions About Placement for Level 5?
Students should complete All About Spelling Level 4 before starting Level 5. All About Spelling is a building block program: each level builds upon the previous one. In order to build a strong foundation, most students start with Level 1. You can use our placement test to determine which level is best for your student. If you have questions, contact us and we’d be happy to help!
What will my student learn in Level 5?
In Level 5, your student will continue to learn encoding skills, reliable spelling rules, and multisensory strategies for spelling, along with exciting new concepts including 12 new phonograms, prefixes, strategies for multisyllable words, abbreviations, and words with unaccented A. Phonological awareness and encoding skills are taught throughout Level 5. Below is a sampling in each area:
- Learn phonograms SI, IE, OUGH, UI, GN, OUR, and CI
- Spell words with the sound of /shun/ spelled SION, such as confession
- Spell words with OR and AR in unaccented syllables, such as doctor and dollar
- Spell more words with Silent E, such as escape and sentence
- Spell words ending in SS, such as princess
- Spell words with /eks/ and /egz/ spelled EX, as in except and exam
- Spell words with /e/ spelled EI and IE, as in receive and achieve
- Spell words with the sound of /kt/ spelled CT, as in collect
- Learn how to add two suffixes to a word
- Analyze two ways to spell the sound of /shun/
- Learn about unaccented syllables
- Learn I-Before-E generalizations
- Analyze five ways to spell the sound of /e̅/
- Pluralize words ending in F, FE, and O
- Form irregular plurals
- Analyze six ways to spell the sound of /er/