Products Needed to Teach Level 1
In order to teach Level 1 to a single student, you will need these items:
All About Spelling Level 1 Materials
All About Spelling Level 1 Materials includes the Teacher’s Manual and one Student Packet (which contains the flashcards, charts, and other necessary components).
Spelling Interactive Kit
The Spelling Interactive Kit provides the multisensory components for the All About Spelling program. This is a one-time purchase, and you will use the same kit for all seven levels of All About Spelling. It comes in two versions: Basic and Deluxe. Visit Spelling Interactive Kits for complete information.
Physical Letter Tiles or Letter Tiles App
The Spelling Interactive Kit contains everything you need, including the physical letter tiles, but there are two additional items to consider. If you plan to teach mainly with the physical letter tiles, you’ll need to purchase a 2′ x 3′ magnetic white board from a store such as Walmart or Staples. For an easy-to-use, portable alternative, our Letter Tiles App is available as a separate purchase.
Teaching Multiple Students?
All About Spelling makes it easy to teach multiple students! If you’re teaching more than one child, you’ll need to purchase a few individual products for each child.
Each additional student will need:
- All About Spelling Level 1 Student Packet
- Spelling Divider Cards
- Spelling Review Box
Questions About Placement for Level 1?
If your student is a beginning reader, we recommend completing All About Reading Level 1 or the equivalent first, and then adding in the All About Spelling program, beginning with Level 1. This gives students a solid start in reading, and a strong basis for successful spelling. To learn more, read the article All About Spelling—The Right Time to Start.
What will my student learn in Level 1?
Your student will learn encoding skills, reliable spelling rules, and multisensory strategies for spelling, along with exciting new concepts, including phonograms, consonant teams, segmenting, syllables, consonant blends, initial blends, final blends, and plurals. Phonological awareness and encoding skills are taught throughout Level 1. Below is a sampling in each area:
- Learn phonograms A-Z, plus TH, SH, CH, CK, NG, NK
- Spell words with short vowel sounds containing new phonograms, such as bath, dog, cash, wing, and such
- Spell words ending in FF, LL, and SS, as in cliff, will, and miss
- Spell words with initial blends, as in frog and swim
- Spell plural words with suffix s or es, such as cups and lunches
- Spell compound words, such as cobweb and bathtub
- Learn techniques for syllable counting
- Identify the first and last sounds in words
- Segment words with two and three sounds