What will my student learn in Pre-reading?
The All About Reading Pre-reading program is designed for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Your student will enjoy the special games, crafts, and storytime read-alouds, and you will love the way your student effortlessly learns essential pre-reading skills.
Your student will learn five very important pre-reading skills: Print Awareness, Phonological Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Listening Comprehension, and Motivation to Read. These skills lay the foundation for learning to read. Below is a sampling in each area.
- Learn to recognize capital letters
- Learn to recognize lowercase letters
- Learn to recite the alphabet song
- Learn to blend sounds orally to make a word
- Learn to clap syllables
- Learn rhyming and word boundaries
- Identify the beginning and ending sounds in a word
- Understand that the words on the page can be read
- Understand that books are read from cover to back, and sentences are read from left to right
- Answer simple questions about a story
- Learn to retell a story in his own words
- Ask pertinent questions about a story
Motivation to Read
- Cultivate an enthusiasm for learning
- Instill a delight for books and reading
- Observe situations in which reading is beneficial
- Establish a desire to learn to read and write
What does my student need to know before beginning Pre-reading?
Download this Readiness Checklist to determine if your student is ready for Pre-reading.