Here’s What Your Student Will Learn in Level 1
Your student will learn exciting new concepts, including letter sounds, phonograms, consonant teams, blending, syllables, sight words, consonant blends, plurals, compound words, and much more. Every component of reading is taught: decoding (phonics and structural analysis), vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. Below is a sampling in each area.
- Learn techniques for syllable counting
- Isolate sounds in three- and four-letter words
- Practice phonemic substitution
- Learn phonograms A-Z, plus TH, SH, CH, CK, NG, NK
- Read short vowel words containing the new phonograms, such as man, set, pup, quack, class, bench, trunk, king, and gasp
- Read words ending in FF, LL, and SS, as in hill and kiss
- Read words with initial blends, as in step and flag
- Read words with final blends, as in next and lost
Decoding (Structural Analysis)
- Read plural words with suffix s or es, such as pigs and lunches
- Read compound words, such as windmill
- Discuss new words in the context of the story and one’s own life
- Connect new words to familiar words
- Read with accuracy
- Read with meaningful expression
- Read with natural phrasing
- Connect text to one’s own experiences
- Understand dialogue
- Give and discuss opinions
- Set a purpose for reading
Placement for Level 1
Please note that the Level numbers on our books don’t refer to grade levels. Our lessons are mastery-based, not grade-level-based. This means that students are placed where they are at ability-wise, not according to age or grade level. So just because the books say Level 1 doesn’t meant that it is appropriate for all first graders. Some kids may begin the program in kindergarten, while others may begin at an older age.
Download this placement test to determine if your student is ready for Level 1.
Products Needed to Teach Level 1
In order to teach Level 1 to a single student, you will need these items:
All About Reading Level 1 Materials
All About Reading Level 1 Materials includes the Teacher’s Manual, one Student Packet (which contains the activity book, flashcards, and stickers), and three readers.
Reading Interactive Kit
The Reading Interactive Kit provides the multisensory components for the All About Reading program. This is a one-time purchase, and you will use the same kit for all four levels of All About Reading. It comes in two versions: Basic and Deluxe. Visit Reading Interactive Kits for complete information.
Physical Letter Tiles or Letter Tiles App
The Reading Interactive Kit contains everything you need, including the physical letter tiles, but there are two additional items to consider. If you plan to teach mainly with the physical letter tiles, you’ll need to purchase a 2′ x 3′ magnetic white board from a store such as Walmart or Staples. For an easy-to-use, portable alternative, our Letter Tiles App is available as a separate purchase.
Teaching Multiple Students?
All About Reading makes it easy to teach multiple students! If you’re teaching more than one child, you’ll need to purchase a few individual products for each child.
Each additional student will need:
- All About Reading Level 1 Student Packet
- Reading Divider Cards
- Reading Review Box