Standardized Testing Requirements for SCAIHS Students
Standardized testing, when used properly, can be helpful in evaluating a student’s strengths and weaknesses. Low test scores may alert a parent to the possibility of a learning disability or may simply indicate the need for a curriculum change. Periodic testing beginning in the elementary years can acclimate the student to a more formal testing environment while providing helpful information for the parent to use as one form of assessment.
At a minimum, SCAIHS students should be tested every other year beginning with grade 3 and continuing through grade 11 (the odd numbered grades).
- Stanford Achievement Test
- Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS)
- TerraNova2 / CAT 6
- Woodcock Johnson
- SAT (please use SCAIHS high school code # 411104)
- ACT (please use SCAIHS high school code # 411104)
- PSAT (please use SCAIHS high school code # 411104)
- Any of the tests listed for grades 3-7
You are free to choose your own tester, provided he or she is an approved test administrator. The testing company determines the guidelines for the tester qualifications.
When to Test
It is recommended that students be tested after completing at least 135 days of school. For results to be available in time for our June 7th reporting, we advise testing no later than early May. If you do not have your results by June 7th, complete your year-end reporting and notify your counselor of the delay in submitting test results.
Important Testing Considerations
Due to program requirements and qualifications, some parents might want to consider testing in additional years. Those programs are:
- Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP) is a talent search for which students can qualify with their 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade test results.
- Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society for grades 9-12 has an annual testing requirement.
- The PSAT/NMSQT scores from the junior year (October) are used to identify recipients of the National Merit Scholarship.
- A student transferring to public or private school might need recent standardized testing for admittance.